To whom it may concern,
Several members of the French WoP server and I have noticed a significant drop in the language correctness of official posts (such as courses or articles). Unfortunately, owls are the only way to report errors and typos and they can be taken as personnally offensive which prevents from reliably and efficiently correcting posts. As a matter of fact, it often discourages us to keep playing the game if we must regularily read poorly spelled articles, especially knowing that there is not much we can do.
Thus, we thought about proposing the creation of a new job/role of Reader/Corrector, who's task would be to spot mistakes and to provide a corrected version of the text to the relevant person.
As it would be a time consuming task (depending on the length of the articles or simply because the French language happens to be a real puzzle of rules and exceptions that would increase the correcting time even more), this would require a salary (of in-game currency of course) and a color distinction.
We then submitted this idea to our staff, they understood our position but told us that there was nothing they could do at their level, which made us bring the request higher.
We understand clearly that creating a role can be more complicated than what we might envision, and for that reason, we suggest another idea: a platform or forum dedicated to correction and spellchecking, where every player could report the mistakes he or she found, while providing a relevant correction and an explaination for this adjustment. Thus the members concerned by the corrections could correct their spelling mistakes themselves.
Here is a list of the benefits we found:
- A good example for the youngest players, reading misspelled text will not help them improve their spelling.
- Motivation to keep a high language level standard.
- Making correcting fun and engaging for people who like to correct.
- A sense of accomplishment and a pride to help the staff and changing the community in a good way.
- The ego of some will not get in the way of correcting articles anymore.
- Considerably reducing the medication expenses for people suffering from eyebleeding due to a high exposure to poor spelling.
(As a proper French person I request your indulgence for my poor English.)
Customer support service by UserEcho